Creating a resume is one of the most important tasks in the life of professionals. However, it can also prove to be very tedious and time taking, if done without the proper guidelines.
Therefore you need to know just how to select the best resume design before applying for a job interview! This is because the resume format that you select can help you showcase your strengths to their best capacity.
So, what resume format is best?
Since every job is different, you must be able to show efficiently those skills that are relevant to that job. This can be achieved by using different resume formats!
Let’s see how you can choose the best resume template or design.
The main 3 types of resume formats are as follows:
- Chronological Resume- This is the go-to choice of most job seekers. It suits best for a fresher and students, but can also be used by well experienced people.
- Functional Resume- This resume showcases your skills rather than focusing on your work experience.
- Hybrid Resume- This resume is the combination of both chronological and functional resume. Therefore, it places equal focus on both your skills as well as your experience.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Now that we have seen the main types of resumes, let’s dive into the pros and cons of each one of them, with some resume examples. This will help you select the most appropriate resume format and help in your career guidance.
- It presents and highlights all work experiences with clarity.
- Most commonly used format which is also easy to read.
- When using ATS (Applicant Tracking Software), it is the most suited, as extracting employment history is easy.
- Shows all the employment gaps that you might have gone through.
- It is a very basic format and hence not considered as very impressive and creative.
- If you have very less work experience, then this format is the least suitable.
- Does not focus on work experience, hence hiding any employment gaps that you may have.
- Presents all your relevant skills efficiently.
- Can present you as an inexperienced candidate because of lacking focus on work experience.
- Uncommon format, making it hard to read and understand.
- When using ATS, extracting work experience is made hard.
- Focuses on bot skills and work experience equally.
- Is very flexible, hence can be easily created.
- Also helps to cover any employment gaps.
- Your educational experience is side lined.
- Only suitable for people having good amount of skills and experience.
- Needs to be carefully planned before creating so as to not add redundant information.
This information can help you choose the perfect resume design for yourself! You can also do a resume format download to save time into designing your resume!
Board Infinity is a full stack career coaching platform providing personalized career guidance & fast track learning to students & job seekers. Leverage our resume review, interview coaching, role clarity, sector clarity & career advice services now!